Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not yet in Cambodia, but almost

So, here goes my first foray into the newly culturally embedded phenom of cyber-voyeurism known as blogging. I'm currently in Hong Kong, having survived a not very difficult 18hr flight from Toronto. Actually, no, the man sitting next to me had this profound smell of mothballs and not having showered in several days. I should also mention that he had a couple of moles which seemed to have some sort of lengthy beard growing out of them. They were reminiscent of some wise old Chinese man circa-1920 growing out of them. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues comes to mind.

Otherwise, the rest of my flight was spent passed out, or having sudden spasms relating to the fact that I'll be in Cambodia for 8 months or longer. I'm not actually too sure what to expect and having realized that my childhood viewing of The Killing Fields can become an asset and a fault. Having to balance the expectations of seeing small children wheel their limbless parents around in wheelbarrows, while simultaneously offering themselves for sex tourism, and the sheer immensity and beauty of Cambodian history is a tad daunting.

Speaking of media and it's role in the amelioration of the density of social justice and development issues...it's an interesting topic of contention. What are the roles of movies like "The Killing Fields", "Hotel Rwanda" and "Blood Diamonds" in the current global environment? Do they have the ability to inspire and teach to those who merely glanced over the headlines in the newspaper like they did during the actual events? Or, do they merely engender a sense of comfort among the population, knowing that these issues weighing upon their oh so fragile consciences are now over? And what do films such as Brian de Palma's "Redacted" and Paul Haggis' "In the Valley of Elah" also indicate? These are films that are regarding issues in there here and the now..and depict actual world events. Do they even fall in the same sphere? Do they further support Naomi Klein's notion of the Shock Doctrine?

But getting back to Cambodia...I suppose I should leave my mind open for what to expect. To understand the rampant poverty and the results of the genocide and decimation of culture and economy caused by the Khmer Rouge is what I should have in my mind if and when I see such things in about 3 hrs. I really can't wait to arrive in Phnom Penh.

I think I've wanted this since I was about 12 years old. And now it's here, 10 yrs later. I should take life by the balls and kick really hard.

No comments: