Friday, September 28, 2007

they tend to come out after it rains...

says the bartender at Metro, this place on the Tong Le Sap river I checked out with some new friends last night. They being rats. I'm still reeling from last night's incident actually. It involved me, some new friends, sitting on the patio at Metro, and me feeling something soft graze by my sandaled feet. Then, my consequent peering under the table to see what it was...and the release of a slight scream upon the realization that it was a rat. It's been about 10 hrs since the incident and it still gives me shivers. 30 minutes after my incident, I should mention that the dude sitting next to me got bitten by a rat, at which point he needed to be taken to the hospital to get some anti-rabies medication. All I can say is that at least it wasn't a monkey. I've heard that they bite a lot deeper.

I've actually never seen so many rats before. My new friends and I left this lounge called Pontoon last night. Pontoon is a, well I guess you can figure out what it is, on the river. Upon leaving, my new Zambian and Italian friends saw what seemed an entire pack of rats to rival both the Crips and the Bloods run across the the muddy road near us. Screaming resulted. Some hurried navigation of huge puddles of mud and dirty water in heels and flip flops and then me....almost falling. Keywod ALMOST. I think i've learned to save myself from such events these days.

So aside from learning a little too much regarding the happy hour activities of my boss from his friends yesterday, I have to say that the rat thing is still a bit blood curdling. Ewwwwww. I'm good with the smells of raw meat and fish, and their rotting consequences, in the Russian Market (I'm East Asian, I suppose such things are in my blood), but this whole rat thing still irks me, despite having read the seminal epidemiological work on rats...called...Rats. I highly recommend!

No comments: